Because of the current COVID-19 situation, my screen time has massively increased the past few weeks. I’ve been visiting different sites than usual and accidentally finding production bugs that slipped.
I’m thinking of starting a series of posts (probably every month) where I share production bugs that I’ve encountered. These bugs will range from server error bugs, visual bugs, functionality bugs, etc. I am not shaming these companies but I just want to raise awareness that there is no such thing as 100% bug free application - and it’s ok!
Production Bug #1: Blooming Artificial
Couple of weeks back, I was trying to order a plant from Blooming Artificial. I found a promo code that I wanted to use but when I clicked checkout, the following error occurred. When I refreshed the page, the error disappeared but my shopping cart was empty.
Production Bug #2: Daily Record
Here’s an example of a visual bug of an advert overlapping with the news content. It didn’t mind me as much because I could still read the content but visually, it was a bit annoying to look at 😅
Production Bug #3: Coop
While buying groceries online, I noticed a couple of bugs from the coop website. I set my filters to browse long life milk and the filter count said 9 of 8 products. Not sure where the 9th item came from but I counted the products manually and there were only 8.
The following day I decided to visit the site again because I forgot to add a couple of items in my grocery list. It seems that even though my basket is currently empty, the price for the previous items that I bought is still displayed.
Production Bug # 4: Daily Mail
Browsing the online papers again and this time, I was looking at Daily Mail. I wanted to see their most watched News videos so I swiped right only to find empty blocks.
Production Bug #5: Cypress Docs Site
These all shows that we're all human, it's ok to slipped bugs in production (but not all the time!!). I know I have a fair share of bugs I've deployed in the past 😀